You can travel through Germany from north to south using a number of motorail (accompanied car train) services. You will enjoy a comfortable journey and reach your destination in Southern Germany, Austria, Italy or neighbouring regions in comfort overnight. You can choose between different levels of comfort by making reservations for a couchette or a sleeper cabin.
Three motorail operators offer services in Germany. You can book tickets for their services on the following webpages:
The most important operator is Urlaubs-Express, while the Deutsche Bahn, Germany’s largest railway Company, is no longer offering any services. In 2021 the available services cover the following routes:
- Hamburg – Verona (Northern Italy); operator: Urlaubs-Express
- Hamburg – Munich; operator: Urlaubs-Express
- Hamburg – Villach (Carinthia); operator: Urlaubs-Express
- Hamburg – Innsbruck (Tyrol); operator: winter Urlaubs-Express, summer ÖBB
- Hamburg – Lörrach (German-Swiss border); operator: BTE, Urlaubs-Express
- Hamburg – Vienna; operator: Urlaubs-Express
- Düsseldorf – Innsbruck (Tyrol); operator: Urlaubs-Express
- Düsseldorf – Verona (Northern Italy); operator: Urlaubs-Express
- Düsseldorf – Villach (Carinthia); operator: Urlaubs-Express
Season of operation: The routes Hamburg to Innsbruck, Hamburg to Munich and Düsseldorf to Innsbruck operate in winter and summer with a break in between. All other routes only operate in high season in summer.
Your journey: If you travel from Scandinavia you should choose a motorail service operating from the station Hamburg-Altona. If you start your journey from the Netherlands and Belgium, services from Düsseldorf are much more convenient.
A tip for tourists with destinations in Slovenia or Croatia: Use the service to Villach station which is located only a few kilometres away from the Austrian-Slovenian border. From there you can quickly reach Istria and the Adriatic coast.
Please check the websites of the respective train operators Urlaubs-Express, BTE and ÖBB for further details. All websites are also available in English and you can book your tickets there directly.
New timetable for Urlaubs-Express 2021